When your plan is bathroom floor repair, each of us is faced with a difficult task of choosing finishing materials, including for the floor. Today, there are many possible options: from traditional tile to wooden or self-leveling floors. It is necessary to proceed, first of all, from the functionality, as well as from the conceived design of the bathroom. What materials can be used for finishing the bathroom floor?
Immediately it is worth noting that in difficult conditions of the bathroom, you can use only those materials that do not slip (for example non slip bathroom floor tiles), are easy to clean, are hygienic and have a high level of moisture resistance. At the same time, do not forget about purely decorative qualities.
No. 1. CERAMIC TILE FLOOR
Ceramic tile is the most popular material that is used today for finishing the floor in the absolute majority of bathrooms. This wide prevalence is explained by a number of advantages of tiles:
- the material is absolutely not afraid of moisture and does not absorb it, which means that it does not deform under the constant influence of water, it will not appear mold;
- hygienic cover and easy to care for. Moreover, the tile does not collect dust, since it does not accumulate an electrostatic charge;
- strength and abrasion resistance. These qualities of floor tiles are strikingly different from the one used for wall decoration;
- anti-slip properties; Ceramic tiles are an excellent option for non slip bathroom floor tiles. Tiles can also be treated with a special anti-slip agent, which is designed for bathroom floors, showers, saunas, pools, baths, and other wet areas.
- fire resistance, as well as high thermal conductivity, which allows you to equip a system of Underfloor heating;
- huge range. Modern manufacturers offer tiles of different sizes and colors, with different patterns and ornaments, stylized for other materials, so you can always choose the option that will best meet the design idea.
Options for decorating the bathroom with ceramic tiles:
1) Floor to ceiling tiled bathroom
2) Blue bathroom floor tile:
The blue color and its shades are always associated with the water element. They promote relaxation, relieve stress and mental stress, and normalize blood pressure. From the above, we can conclude that the design of the bathroom in blue should be a common phenomenon because there are all the prerequisites for this, but in fact, it is not so common.
Why? In large quantities, rich shades of Indigo and ultramarine act depressingly can cause anxiety, apathy, and fatigue. In addition, they belong to the cold part of the spectrum and are subconsciously associated with low temperatures. Not everyone wants to bathe in a bathroom that feels cold from the walls.
Does this mean that the dream of a blue bathroom will have to be abandoned? Of course not, but you will have to choose every detail very carefully to make the room cozy and filled with positive energy.
Examples of bathrooms in the ” sea ” range further in the photo:
3) Brown tile bathroom floor:
The brown color of various shades is widely used in the interior design of various rooms in the house, including the bathroom. This color is not only pleasing to the eye, but also has a low mark.
4) hexagon tile bathroom floor:
The tile covering in the form of a hexagon is not only practical but also extremely beautiful. This material will look great in a variety of interior design styles.
In addition to regular polygons, models are produced in the form of an irregular elongated hexagon. The hexagon tile can be combined with square and rectangular models, which allows you to create original coatings.
♦Using polygons, you can visually combine the space in the room, creating interesting transitions from the floor to the walls.♦
Among the disadvantages, we can note the fragility of the tile: if you suddenly drop a heavy object on the floor, it is likely to damage the coating, and replacing the tile will require some effort. Tile is considered a cold material, so it will not be very pleasant to walk barefoot on it, but there is a way out – the arrangement of the heated bathroom floor.
No. 2. STONE FLOOR TILES BATHROOM
Natural stone is used for finishing the floor in the bathroom infrequently because this coating is quite expensive and often slippery. The advantages of a stone floor include:
- a chic appearance that gives the bathroom special pomp and elitism;
- unpolished porous marble is used most often, since it does not become slippery when exposed to water, unlike other types of natural stones, it is not afraid of thermal and
- mechanical loads;
- strength and durability.
The choice and purchase of natural stone are better to trust a professional, since each slab of material can differ significantly in color and pattern, even within the same batch. It is a specialist who can successfully combine different tiles so as to create a single harmonious pattern, as complete as possible in appearance.
The main disadvantage of this type of finish is the high cost. Moreover, if the stone includes iron inclusions, small areas of rust may form. It is better to check the material immediately: take a sample from the store and hold it wrapped in a wet cloth for a few days.
No. 3. MARBLE BATHROOM FLOOR
The main advantages of a marble bathroom floor:
- aesthetics and durability. The advantage of marble is that this material is extremely durable. This guarantees the durability of the surfaces covered with it. It is a natural, porous and breathable stone that will help improve the indoor climate. Also, marble is resistant to temperature changes, easy to clean from dirt and is not afraid of moisture.
Marble is a very beautiful material. The variety of textures, colors, and varieties is amazing. Non-standard colored marble tiles come in a wide variety of colors: from imitation of the color of natural stone to more impressive solutions – green, blue, red, brown, black or pink. Often colored tiles are used to create ornaments, marble panels, or simply can become a bright accent of any interior.
Disadvantages of marble tiles in the bathroom: high price and care. One of the main disadvantages of marble is its high price. Sometimes marble tiles can cost five times more than regular ceramic tiles for the bathroom. If you have a limited budget, do not make a choice in favor of this material. In addition, it is highly recommended not to put the tile yourself, and hiring workers will entail additional costs.
No. 4. EPOXY BATHROOM FLOOR
The epoxy bathroom floor is one of the most modern solutions for bathroom decoration, which can significantly transform the interior and turn it into an underwater world, a corner of a tropical island if we are talking about 3D floors. In terms of performance, self-leveling floors are an ideal solution for such premises.
Among their main advantages are the following:
- strength, durability, abrasion resistance and ease of care. This finish will last at least 15 years, and will not lose its original properties;
- absolute resistance to moisture and various detergents;
- resistance to high temperatures and temperature differences;
- high thermal conductivity, so you can install a system of Underfloor heating;
- excellent antistatic performance;
- solidity, which affects both the appearance and strength, because there are simply no ways for water to penetrate under the coating;
- high decorativeness, if we are talking about 3D floors. The floor can have not only any color or pattern but also an image that will look as realistic as possible.
But with all the advantages, it is worth noting some features of epoxy floor, which should be taken into account when choosing such a coating:
- the price is high.;
- the need to properly prepare the base, i.e. to perform a concrete screed ;
- preparatory work for creating a self-leveling floor can take up to 4 weeks, but the process of creating a coating is not so long.
No. 5. HARDWOOD FLOOR IN BATHROOM
At first glance, it seems that using wood in a room like a bathroom is generally inappropriate. But if you look into this issue, you can come to the conclusion that with a careful selection of materials, you can organize a wood floor bathroom and enjoy it for a long time. This option has a lot of advantages:
- this is a warm coating because the wood has low thermal conductivity. Even without a system of Underfloor heating to step on the floor in the bathroom will be comfortable;
- ecological compatibility;
- a nice appearance that brings warmth and comfort to the bathroom, allows you to make it original.
There are also disadvantages:
First, wood is a fairly expensive finishing material, so finishing the floor in this way can cost a lot.
Second, you can’t discount the fact that wood can absorb moisture and deform. To avoid this, it is necessary to choose the most moisture-resistant wood species, which, by the way, were previously used in shipbuilding, as well as apply protective coatings for wood.
Teak bathroom floor:
The teak bathroom floor is excellent. It was used by shipbuilders for hundreds of years. Due to its dense fiber structure, the material becomes water-tight and accumulates heat. In addition, teak has excellent wear-resistant properties, it is resistant to chemicals. The roughness of this wood makes the floor non-slip.
Today also often use ThermoWood for the arrangement of the cover in the bathroom. This material is obtained by processing wood with steam at a high temperature, up to 2500C, in the absence of oxygen. At the same time, the moisture resistance increases significantly, reducing the risk of deformations, the development of fungus or mold.
Additionally, it is better to treat the wood with moisture-resistant compounds and cover the finished floor with several layers of special yacht varnish.
No. 6. CORK FLOOR IN BATHROOM
The entire range of cork floors can be divided into two categories: lock and glued. What are the differences between these products?
Castle – “floating” cork coverings that are not attached directly to the floor, but as if laid on it. Pre-glued at the joints of the slats are connected by the type of “spike-groove”, so this floor looks somewhat like a laminate. In addition, these two coatings are mounted almost identically, which further enhances the similarity-check out this effect on the photo of cork floors in bathrooms. Lock panels consist of three layers: the first-a small cork substrate, the second-HDF or MDF plate, the third-a large cork crumb with a veneer of the same cork or valuable wood species.
Glued-cork coatings that are glued directly to the floor. The slats are also connected with each other using glue. According to the method of installation, it resembles a parquet Board, so this type of finish is also called a cork parquet. The surface of the glued cork must be covered with varnish.
Both types of cork flooring have approximately the same advantages and disadvantages. Moreover, the advantages are also divided into two groups: operational and aesthetic.
Operational advantages of cork coatings:
- Eco-friendly; Cork floor is made of natural materials, so it is as safe as possible for households. Moreover, the coating has a springy effect, so it reduces the load on the spine and legs of a person while walking.
- Low thermal conductivity; the average thermal conductivity of the cork is 0.04, which is significantly lower than that of many other floor coverings. Due to this, the material perfectly retains the heat of the bathroom, which allows you to save on the “warm floor” system. In addition, due to its warmth, the cork coating is very pleasant to the touch.
Cork coating is absolutely safe to use:
- High sound insulation; Cork floor absorbs all sounds in the bathroom because its sound insulation coefficient is 0.85.
- No-slip; the Plug has a high slip resistance, so it is an ideal option for the bathroom – even if the floor becomes wet, it will be as safe as possible, unlike many other finishes.
- Easy to care for; Cork does not need to be scrupulously cared for – it is enough to wipe it with a damp cloth or vacuum it from time to time.
- Durability; if you follow the rules of operation of the cork floor, it can last from 15 to 20 years.
- The ease of installation. Cork floors can be laid in the bathroom on their own without the involvement of specialists – this does not require any specialized knowledge and tools. And in order to do everything correctly, we recommend reading the reviews of people who have already done this procedure.
There are also disadvantages of cork floor in the bathroom:
High price. Cork floor in the bathroom is not one of the cheapest, as it is expensive and the natural cork itself, and protective coatings, and additional materials for installation.
Low resistance to sharp objects. The cork floor in the bathroom is easily damaged by heels, metal brushes and other elements with even a slightly pointed surface.
High requirements for the base. Cork flooring can only be laid on the highest quality Foundation-smooth, dry and clean. Otherwise, the new coating will lose its functionality and aesthetics very quickly.
♦The Council. If your bathroom has a bad rough floor, and you decided to lay the cork coating yourself, then you can still entrust the preparation of the base to professionals – a layman is unlikely to be able to do everything according to the technology.♦
Unpleasant smell in the process of installation. Glue and varnish, which are actively used during the installation of the cork, have an unbearable smell that will be heard not only in the bathroom but also throughout the apartment.
No. 7. MOSAIC FLOOR TILE BATHROOM
To simplify finishing work, modern manufacturers have developed materials that greatly simplify the implementation of the mosaic coating. With their use, surface cladding can be done in just a few hours:
An ordinary ceramic tile with a relief applied to its surface that imitates a mosaic. The advantage of this material is a small number of butt joints that require grout. The Disadvantage of whole slabs is the lack of the ability to create composite drawings. In addition, the rigid structure of the tile does not allow you to use the material for facing curved surfaces without cutting into small elements.
Flexible mosaic tiles consist of individual small fragments attached to a fiberglass mesh or fabric. Therefore, it can be easily colored into pieces of the desired shape and size, which allows you to combine tiles of different colors. This version of the lining is made of different materials, including polymers, but only smalt, ceramic and natural stone is suitable for the floor covering in the bathroom.
- The glass version (smalt) is resistant to moisture and steam, easy to clean and has an aesthetic appearance. Tile fragments have an interesting decorative feature — they are highlighted from the inside. The material has high strength and durability.
- Ceramic mosaic tiles have the same characteristics as regular tiles, so it is well suited for facing surfaces in the bathroom.
- Flexible mosaic tiles made of natural stone can also be used as a floor covering in the bathroom. But it differs from other similar materials with a greater thickness, which means that grout gaps between fragments will require a much larger amount of solution. The stone is resistant to moisture and has high natural strength, so this coating will be very durable.
No. 8. PEBBLE TILE BATHROOM FLOOR
Pebbles are small stones found on the coasts of seas and rivers. Under the influence of water, they are subjected to a natural ” cut ” that smoothes the corners. Therefore, the shape of the pebble is always rounded and this allows it to be used in the lining without additional processing. But the benefits don’t end there. Here is a list of other advantages of pebbles:
- moisture resistance, low porosity; This makes it possible to spread pebbles in rooms with high humidity, without fear of damage to the material.
- A wide range of colors;
- This allows you to create different versions of the lining. Natural colors of pebbles – white, beige, gray, black, brown, Burgundy, blue, green.
- The pebble floor has a massage effect on the feet;
- Pebbles can be combined with other facing materials (tiles, wood, mosaics), creating original compositions.
- The Price Is Small;
- Easy to install.
No. 9. HEATED FLOOR IN BATHROOM
The ability to perform hygiene procedures while standing barefoot is especially valuable where there are children. But what technology is better to use to arrange a heated bathroom floor? To make the best decision, you need to consider exactly where this bathroom is located. If the house is just being built, it is possible and even necessary to provide water floors, Maybe it is not cheaper at cost, but it is definitely more economical to operate.
However, in a finished house with installed doors and thresholds, it may not be possible to raise the floor level of the bathroom. And it is quite difficult to connect to the existing heating, and in apartment buildings, it is generally prohibited. Therefore, in this case, it is better to pay attention to the electric film or heated floor mats for the bathroom.
As you can see, there are plenty of possible ways to organize the floor in the bathroom. Today, there are several decent alternatives to traditional tile floors that allow you to create a stylish and practical bathroom. When choosing, pay attention, first of all, to the performance of the material, to the ease of care, and only then-to the decorativeness.