To make the kitchen cozy and functional, you must not only think through the interior design and choose the right accessories but also choose the right kitchen set. The choice of furniture for the kitchen is not an easy task as it seems at first glance.
Even before buying a kitchen set, you will have to perform several actions:
- make measurements of the kitchen,
- choose the layout,
- make a project,
- сhoose the model of the kitchen set.
Before you start choosing a kitchen set, you need to know the exact size of the room.
Before you decide which kitchen set to choose, answer a few questions:
- what type of kitchen cabinet you need,
- how it will be located,
- which appliances should be built into the kitchen set,
- the purchase budget.
Almost all kitchen sets are designed on the principle of modules. This allows you to use every corner of the kitchen space.
When installing the kitchen set, the following schemes are used:
- single-row linear,
- angular l-shaped,
- two-row or parallel,
- arched island and peninsular.
The choice of the scheme depends on the area and shape of the room. For example, for a narrow kitchen, installation in 1 row or corner is suitable, other options for the arrangement of sets will further narrow the room.
When choosing a kitchen set, you should consider the following nuances:
- kitchen cabinet materials,
- convenience and functionality,
- kitchen set design.
The size of the kitchen sets:
First of all, you need to choose the correct height of the work surface. It is usually chosen to take into account the growth of the hostess. There is a standard that fits the size of typical household appliances and fits most American women.
Kitchen countertop height
What is standard kitchen counter height?
Typical kitchen counter height is 36 inches or 3 feet. The standard depth is 25 or 30 inches. This is the height at which the average person feels comfortable at their countertop. As referenced, this number can fluctuate based upon your specific desires or needs. If you think 36 inches is too high for a countertop, you can choose the countertop below. Typically, countertops below the standard height will be 32 inches. There are also higher countertops. These are countertops from 38 to 39 inches.
Standard kitchen table height
The standard height of the kitchen table is from 28 to 30 inches. As with countertops, there are higher and lower tables.
dining chairs height.
What is the Standard height of kitchen table chairs?
Now that you know the standard height of the kitchen table, we need to choose the appropriate height of the chairs. To do this, you need to know the standard height of the seats. The standard height is considered to be from 18 to 20 inches. If the standard height of the chairs is not suitable for you, you can purchase adjustable height chairs.
What is the Standard height of Counter Chairs?
Counter chairs are usually taller than table chairs. These chairs have a standard height of 24 to 26 inches. If the height of the countertop is not standard, then the chairs must be selected by the height of the countertop.
Standard bar counter height
What is the Standard Bar Counter Height? Bar counters will be higher than kitchen countertops. The standard height of the bar is from 40 to 42 inches. Since this surface is higher than the countertop, you will need higher chairs to match it.
Height of bar stools
The Standard height of bar stools typically measures between 28 to 30 inches high.
In this table, we see a brief description of the standard heights described above:
|Standard Countertop||36 inches (3 feet)|
|Lower Countertop||32 inches|
|Higher Countertop||Between 38 to 39 inches|
|Handicap Accessible Countertop||Between 28 to 34 inches|
|Kitchen Table||Between 28 to 30 inches|
|Kitchen Table Chairs||Between 18 to 20 inches|
|Counter Chairs||Between 24 to 26 inches|
|Kitchen Bar||Between 40 to 42 inches|
|Kitchen Bar Stools||Between 28 to 30 inches|
In addition to «height», there are other elements that you need to think about when choosing kitchen furniture. One such measurement is «depth».
There are two different types of cabinets: basic and wall-mounted. Base cabinets are built under the countertops, and wall cabinets are attached to the wall.
Standard kitchen cabinet depth
- kitchen base cabinet depth: The standard depth of kitchen cabinet is 24 inches. In some cases, the base cabinets are available with a depth of 12 inches, which is ideal for small spaces. The width of the cabinets may vary depending on the manufacturer. For example, the width of the base cabinets varies from 12 to 36 inches(12, 15, 18, 24, 30, or 36 inches).
- wall mounted kitchen cabinet: The standard wall cabinet depth is 12 inches. The width of the wall Cabinet, similar to the width of the base Cabinet, varies from 12 to 36 inches.
The height of wall cabinets depends on the manufacturer and can be 12, 30 and 35 inches.
It is also important to understand how much space you need to leave between the base cabinets and wall cabinets. The average space in this area is 18 inches, but there are also 15 inches. If the person is tall, the distance between the base cabinets and the wall cabinets can be increased to 21 inches.
Kitchen cabinet materials
When choosing a kitchen set, you should pay attention to the materials from which it is made. First of all, you need to remember that wooden furniture does not tolerate high humidity in the room. It is also advisable to select a kitchen set that is well washed. Let’s look at the most popular materials:
1) Chipboard. Most kitchen sets are made of this material. They are inexpensive, made from chipboard, covered with laminate or other resistant material.
2) MDF is an environmentally friendly, hygienic and safe material, resistant to fungi and well-tolerated by steam. In appearance, it is almost indistinguishable from wood, while it is much cheaper. Kitchen sets made of MDF differ in a huge variety of colors and textures.
3) Solid wood is the most expensive material for the production of kitchen sets. Most often, the following types of wood are used: oak, ash, pine, walnut, cherry, alder, etc. Solid wooden bars are glued and processed with special compositions.
Convenience and functionality:
Convenience and functionality. To make the kitchen as comfortable and functional as possible, you need to consider several nuances when choosing furniture:
1) Choose kitchen cabinets with legs. They provide perfect adjustment and protect kitchen furniture from water ingress.
2) it is important to choose the right countertop because it is the most contacting surface of the kitchen set. If possible, take a whole length of the kitchen area.
For the production of countertops, the following materials are used:
- laminated chipboard or MDF,
- artificial or natural stone,
- typesetting Board,
- tempered glass.
A popular material for making kitchen countertops is Corian, created using high-tech equipment from mineral filler, acrylic resin, and pigment. Corian countertop is particularly strong and durable, non-toxic and resistant to chemical influences.
A marble countertop is an unfortunate choice. This material reacts to acid and is also quite fragile. It is damaged not only from blows but also from boiling water.
A granite countertop can be a good purchase. It is practically not susceptible to acids, very strong and wear-resistant.
Countertops are often made of artificial materials: 1) of a crystallite, 2) varicor. They are no worse, and sometimes even better than their natural counterparts. Their advantages include ease, ease of processing, hygiene and heat resistance
Kitchen set design
There are various types of kitchen sets: retro kitchen set, country kitchen set, high-tech, Provence, etc.
If it is difficult to make a decision and stay on one option, then prefer a kitchen set in the eclectic style. In this solution, several directions are mixed, which is characterized by a mass of decorative elements, a rich but uniform color scheme.
The color scheme of the kitchen set
When considering the color scheme for kitchen decoration, you need to understand what style of interior you want to see in the room. This will narrow the selection of shades.
How to choose shades for different interior styles:
1) Classic style and minimalism. This implies the use of natural muted colors. These can be shades of brown, beige, black, or gray. You can use diluted black and white.
2) Romantic and French interiors. Provence, shabby chic, and Gustavian styles prefer pastel colors. For example, milk, pale lilac, pistachio.
3) Scandinavian style and Chalet. Light natural colors of kitchen sets are mainly used. High-tech and other cutting-edge interior styles. They will look good in pure colors, such as black, red, white, purple, etc.
4) Retro, boho, pop art. In such interiors, you can give free rein to your imagination and use the most daring combinations.
5) Industrial style. A kitchen set in natural wood, black, white, gray, steel or brick shades will look good here.
6) Rustic and Mediterranean styles. You can use bright but muted colors. For example, olive, blue, and brick.
Following the above tips, you will be able to choose the perfect kitchen set for every taste.